It started when I was about six years old, when I received my first Guinness Book of World Records. I became obsessed with records and lists.
As a regular participant in social media, I come across all sorts of top lists of HR Blogs. I want to share with you my favourite five. These may or may not be in the top five lists of other bloggers, but I think my criteria is different. I really enjoy reading those bloggers who can combine business and personal.
One of the things I took away from attending #HRevolution is that most people whom I have met in cyberspace before I met them live come out being exactly like their on-line personality. I am really happy that is the case, and I’m glad I’ve found some people I can follow who are quirky, funny, human and understand the day-in-the-life of average HR folk.
So without further ado, here is my Top Five List of HR Bloggers:
- http://womenofHR.com It isn’t just that the folks at WOHR let me hang out with them. I truly enjoy the nature of the subjects highlighted on the site. It doesn’t matter if you are a man or woman, this site does a great job of focusing on sisterhood, family, life and bettering the places where we work. I particularly like posts from the founders, including from Lisa Rosendahl and Trish McFarlane.
- http://hrschoolhouse.wordpress.com/ Robin Schooling is a little bit academic, a whole lot business, and slightly out of her mind. Robin has an eye for a great title to any post, and she is full of great zingers and gotcha moments. I have grown tired of using the LOL sign, so honestly, sometimes when I read her I am ROFL.
- http://upstarthr.com/ What is there not to love about Ben Eubanks? For anyone seasoned in HR, Ben is a reminder of what it is like to be young and free-thinking without the encumbrances of battle scars. After all, Ben is so nice that I can’t imagine anyone would ever be rude or insubordinate with him. Beyond nice, Ben is also a smart cookie who figured out early that he could rise to the top by creating a fantastic environment of sharing.
- http://justjoan.joanginsberg.com/ Joan Ginsberg is the grand dame of HR. A lawyer by training with raw talent for relationship-building, she writes with real strength and meaning. When I read Joan’s stuff, I find myself thinking about Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon or Stevie Nicks lyrics. To give you a flavour of the nature of her subjects, her most recent blog post was “Women, Weddings and WTF”?
- http://canrecruit.com/ Laura Machan is the lone Canadian HR blogger on this list with the Recruiter’s Couch blog. I’ve actually known Laura personally for many years and was excited when I stumbled upon her blog. The content on the site is great, however, one of my favourite aspects of the site is the couch graphic on the home page. I don’t know why, but sometimes I find myself really wanting to go and sit on that couch.
As someone who blogs, I am in awe of people who are able to do so in such an engaging way. The people on this list do a fantastic job, and I hope by publishing this list you will read them too.
Thank you so much Bonni! You made my day – ah hell – you made my year!!